Embracing Imperfection and Changing the Story: Part 6 from Guilt to Growth

My husband and I have been cleaning up our digital storage. Turns out, I’ve never deleted a sent email since my email was born in ninth grade. It has been really fun looking through and laughing at myself—the dramatic subject lines, the too-long sign-offs, the earnest pleas for friendship, the copied-and-pasted AIM away messages (yes, really).

But something caught me off guard: how deeply I craved belonging when I was a teenager. Email after email reflected this quiet, pulsing ache to be enough—to say the right thing, to perform the right role, to be someone worth keeping around. I could see myself trying so hard to fit into every possible version of “good”—the good student, the good daughter, the good friend.

I wish I could go back in time just to tell that sweet high school student that she didn’t have to be everything to be enough. That she already was. I wish I could tell her that no matter what her accomplishments were—or weren’t—she was already worthy of love.

I can’t go back in time, but… no time like the present. Because somewhere along the way, those old messages didn’t just stay in my inbox—they settled into the background of how I see myself as a mom, too.

So, in this post, we’re not just tying a bow at the end of a blog series. We’re revisiting our story and rewriting it. We’re embracing ourselves, our imperfections, and our journey—and in doing so, we’re reclaiming what motherhood can be.

I. The Journey Forward

Over the past few months, we’ve walked together through a deeply personal and often challenging emotional landscape—one that many of us know too well: mom guilt. What started as a conversation about where this guilt comes from has evolved into something more meaningful: a call to reframe our expectations, rediscover our values, and reclaim our stories.

In Post One, we began by naming the source of our guilt—how it sneaks in through societal pressure, internalized beliefs, and the endless noise of comparison.

From there, we explored what it could look like to let go of perfection and embrace “good enough” parenting in Post Two. This shift is not about lowering the bar, but about realigning it with reality and compassion.

Post Three invited us to pause and reflect on our family’s actual priorities—not the ones we think we “should” have, but the ones that truly matter to us. This clarity becomes our compass.

In Post Four, we confronted the comparison trap, learning to set healthy boundaries with ourselves, our screens, and even well-meaning voices in our lives.

Then, in Post Five, we turned inward with self-compassion. We celebrated the small wins—the tiny, beautiful moments of presence and progress that so often go unnoticed.

Finally, in Post Six, we talked about embracing imperfection and changing the narrative—rewriting the scripts that tell us we’re not enough and choosing instead a story rooted in grace and growth.

So, let’s do it!

II. What We’ve Learned (and Unlearned)


Looking back at those old emails reminded me of a deep, familiar lie: that worth must be earned through success. As a teenager, I believed that accomplishments might finally make me lovable. That wasn’t true then, and it isn’t true now. I was already enough—just as I was. I was always worthy of love and always deserving of attention.  


Just like I’ve had to unlearn these truths, there are things about becoming a mom I’ve had to unlearn. First is the “Motherhood Myth.”


The Myth of the Ideal Mother

We’ve all seen those idealized portrayals of motherhood on social media—perfect images that make it seem like motherhood should always be joyful and flawless. These portrayals create unrealistic standards—expectations of self-sacrifice, constant availability, and perfection. Research shows that trying to meet these ideals can lead to anxiety, depression, and feelings of inadequacy (Henderson et al., 2016). When mothers fall short of these standards, it fosters guilt and self-blame (Constantinou et al., 2021).

It’s time to rewrite this story. You don’t need to live up to these suffocating norms. The journey to unlearn these expectations won’t be easy—but it’s worth it.

Schmidt et al. (2023) describe the contradictory expectations modern mothers face: be fully present, yet career-driven; nurturing, but always composed; joyful, but never overwhelmed. These mixed messages drain us, leaving many mothers feeling like they can’t win.

As my sister said, “At some point, you have to accept that no matter what choice you make, someone will think it’s the wrong thing.” So instead of chasing approval, why not trust your own values and choices?

Baby steps. Poco a poco. But before we move forward, let’s look at the role comparison and perfectionism play in this cycle—because they feed the myth.

The Role of Comparison & Perfectionism

The myth of the ideal mother doesn’t exist in a vacuum—it’s fed daily by two familiar forces: comparison and perfectionism.

In a 2022 study, Kirkpatrick and Lee exposed new mothers to a mix of idealized and realistic Instagram posts about motherhood. They found that seeing idealized content led to spikes in envy and anxiety. Mothers who were more prone to compare themselves to others felt especially diminished, reporting lower confidence in their parenting. Interestingly, participants felt more connected to the non-idealized posts—regardless of whether they came from influencers or everyday moms.

This aligns with findings from Verduyn et al. (2017), who noted that social media often amplifies feelings of guilt and inadequacy by showcasing only the highlight reels of parenting.

But it’s not just about social media. Miller and Strachan (2020) explored how perfectionism fuels maternal guilt. They concluded that “the pursuit of perfection can lead to chronic stress and dissatisfaction among mothers.”

Of course we want to give our kids the best—we want them to feel safe, seen, and deeply loved. But perfection is not the path to that. It's a trap.

As Brené Brown writes, “Perfectionism is not the same thing as striving for excellence. Perfectionism is not about healthy achievement and growth; it’s a shield.” That shield might seem protective, but it often keeps us from the very connection we crave—with ourselves and our children.

You don’t need to be perfect to be enough. In fact, your willingness to be real is what creates the kind of home where authenticity and belonging can grow.

Brown reminds us: “Embracing vulnerability allows parents to model courage and authenticity for their children.” That’s the kind of legacy I want to leave. One rooted not in performance, but in presence.

Reframing “Good Enough”

Let’s go back to that teenage girl writing long emails, hoping someone might tell her she was enough. Or to the new mom at her keyboard, unsure if she’s getting any of it right. Maybe it’s you—carrying the weight of love, fear, and hope—doing your best and wondering if that’s enough.

It is. You are enough.

Miller and Strachan (2020) found that self-compassion helps parents let go of perfectionism and embrace a “good enough” approach to parenting. They explain that “self-compassion may buffer against maternal guilt and promote healthier parenting behaviors.”

Grace isn’t a luxury – it’s a necessity. As Becky Kennedy (2022) puts it, “You can be a good parent and be having a hard time.”

You don’t have to just teach your children—you get to show them. Show them what it looks like to rest. To breathe. To name your needs and accept your limits. To love yourself without prerequisites. This kind of self-understanding is foundational, not selfish.

Kennedy reminds us,

“The quality of our relationships with others is only as good as the quality of the relationship we have with ourselves.”

Why Perfection Fails Us

The goal isn’t perfection. It’s connection. You aren’t perfect. Your kids aren’t perfect. But your presence, your effort, your love—that’s more than enough. That’s good.

As Kennedy writes, “Perfectionism steals a child’s ability to feel good in the process of learning because it dictates that goodness only comes from success. We need to show perfectionist kids how they can find their worth outside success.”

Sometimes, “good enough” means seeing the beauty in the ordinary moments—those “extraordinary ordinary” moments. As Lisa-Jo Baker (2019) says, “The middle matters.” The mess, the questions, the imperfect meals—that’s not failure. It’s your life. 

In the end, it's not about flawless parenting. It's about embracing the beauty in the everyday—those ‘extraordinary ordinary’ moments that make life rich and meaningful. This is what your children will remember, and it’s enough. Maybe the mess, the questions, the repetition, the cracked jokes and imperfect meals—that’s not a failure. That’s your life. And it’s good.

III. The Story We’re Writing Now

Letting Go of Old Scripts

If you’ve followed parts 1–5, then by now you’re probably well aware of the impossible standards wrapped up in the “Motherhood Myth” (Constantinou et al., 2021). And maybe—just maybe—your inner critic is starting to realize it doesn’t have to “help” you be perfect. 

These expectations lead to increased anxiety and guilt (Henderson et al., 2016). They drain us emotionally with their contradictions (Schmidt et al., 2023). And yes—it’s hard to let go of them. But naming the weight is the first step in letting it go.

When those old expectations creep back in, try to let them pass. Just because you can do anything doesn’t mean you have to do everything (thank you, Al, for that wisdom). And when doubt nags, I remind myself what my sister said: “At some point, you have to accept that no matter what choice you make, someone will think it’s the wrong thing.”

As Chödrön reminds us, “When we begin to see that perfectionism is a shield, we can start to let go of the old scripts that tell us we must be flawless to be worthy.” Brené Brown echoes this truth: we don’t need to perform for love—we can live from within.”

Cultivating a Compassionate Narrative

We’re in the trenches, trying to let go of old scripts that we were taught or socialized to accept. Now it’s time to cultivate a compassionate narrative. So how do we do that? You probably already know what I’m going to say: poco a poco. Little by little.

You can start by showing yourself compassion. Neff (2015) explained, “Self-compassion is treating yourself with the same kindness, care and concern you show a loved one.” Think about your partner, your sweet little ones, your friends – if they were struggling as you may be, how would you treat them? 

We kiss our babies' wounds. We snuggle them after a bad dream. We encourage our partners. We make them their favorite treats. We listen to our friend’s struggles. We drop off dinners. How do we care for ourselves? Ideally, in the same gentle, attentive way.

This practice of extending care and compassion to ourselves not only nurtures our well-being but also positively influences our parenting, fostering a more compassionate approach to raising our children (Neff, 2015). Kirby et al. (2023) studied how compassion-focused interventions shape parenting. Their findings show that cultivating self-compassion helps parents shift from self-criticism to self-kindness—leading to warmer, more positive interactions. 

Practicing compassion doesn’t just help us parent—it helps us heal. It quiets the inner critic. And mine? She’s still learning to turn down the volume.

Addressing the inner critic is crucial for personal growth and cultivating our compassionate narratives. Lang (2023) reminds us: by tending to our inner critic with compassion—not combat—we begin rewriting the script of who we are and how we show up.

Practical Ways to Practice Self-Compassion

Little steps. Here are a few I like to remember from part 5: 

  1. Develop a relationship with yourself. Remember that “todays always turn into tomorrows.” You can try again. Maybe start a blog to talk about your struggles – it all helps. 

  2. Celebrate your small wins! Parenting is relentless. Let yourself be happy you kept your calm, finished your cold Coke Zero, wrote a bit of a blog, or took a walk. Not everything has to be monumental. (And if you feel like sharing—drop it in the comments or on our Instagram. I’ll cheer you on!)

  3. Name and reframe that inner critic! When that voice gets loud and you, as I do so often, start spiralling in shame, recognize it. Two things can be true (Kennedy, 2022). I can be a good parent and be having a hard time. Back off motherhood myth!

  4. Keep showing up. YOU matter. You are important to you, your family, your friends, your community. Rewriting our narrative isn’t a one-time phenomenon. It’s a daily practice. A persistent, powerful act of showing up.

Redefining Success in Motherhood

We can change how we understand motherhood and rewrite it so it fits our families. I will probably always hear a voice about how I am not enough. I am not successful enough in my career. The time away from my kids is hurting them. If they made a mistake it is probably because I was working instead of teaching them – my inner critic is relentless. Let’s talk about what success really looks like.

Miller and Strachan emphasize that true success in parenting isn't about exerting control over every aspect of a child's life. Instead, it's about fostering genuine connections, being present, and nurturing relationships that allow children to grow into their authentic selves. All I can do is love them the best I can, try, make mistakes, and show up again with amends.

Seligman, a pioneer in positive psychology, posits that flourishing—living a life filled with meaning and purpose—is a key indicator of well-being. In motherhood, this translates to finding joy and satisfaction not in perfection, but in embracing the journey and the meaningful moments it brings. It’s all about connection over control (Miller & Strachan, 2020)

Remember: 

“Now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” (Steinbeck)

You. Are. Good. 

Take a breath. Take a moment. And if you feel ready—ask yourself: What old script am I still carrying? What would it feel like to finally let it go?

IV. Dear Me, You’re Doing Just Fine

So to the girl in the emails—and to the mother I am today—I’m learning to say: You are already enough. You are and always were deserving of love and attention. And that’s the story we’re writing now.

Reclaiming Joy and Creativity

The first step in rewriting my motherhood story is to reclaim a little bit of me. As Eve Rodsky (2021) writes in Find Your Unicorn Space, every person—especially mothers—needs time and space for creative expression that is uninterrupted, dedicated, and meaningful. She calls this Unicorn Space, a vital part of our identity that so often gets lost in the daily grind of caregiving and obligation. It's not selfish—it's essential.

My time, energy, and attention are valuable, and it's up to me to honor that truth. When I intentionally carve out space to pursue joy, learning, or creativity, I’m not just nourishing myself—I’m modeling something powerful for my children. As Pressman (2023) puts it in The Gift of Presence, parenting isn’t about perfect scheduling or non-stop doing. It’s about being—showing up with intention, curiosity, and connection. That presence starts with feeling whole within myself.

Whether it's writing a blog post, taking a walk alone, learning something new, or simply daydreaming, investing in my own inner life helps me become a more grounded and fulfilled mother. That’s not just good for me—it’s good for my family, too.

Honoring Myself with Digital Boundaries

Part of reclaiming my peace means protecting it—and that starts with digital boundaries. As Cal Newport (2019) explains in Digital Minimalism, our attention is one of our most precious resources, and when we’re constantly plugged in, it’s too easy to lose it to comparison traps and curated perfection. I’ve felt the pull of that scrolling spiral, and I know how quickly it fuels my inner critic.

So, I’m choosing to honor myself by being more intentional online: unfollowing accounts that drain me, limiting my screen time, and refocusing on what’s real and present in my life. This isn’t about disconnecting entirely—it’s about reconnecting with what actually matters.

Jonathan Haidt (2024) emphasizes how critical it is for parents to model healthy tech habits, showing our kids that we can engage with technology without being consumed by it. I want my sweet littles to grow up with a balanced, thoughtful relationship with the digital world—and I know that starts with me.

But I also want to be clear: I’m not doing this perfectly. There are days I scroll longer than I mean to, moments when the comparison trap catches me off guard. This journey isn’t about perfection—it’s about awareness, growth, and self-compassion. Every small step toward presence is still a step forward. And that, in itself, is worth honoring.

Creating a New Inheritance

My mother sacrificed so much to be an incredible mom. She gave us everything she had, and I will be forever grateful for her deep love and constant presence. But I’ve also learned that being everything to everyone often comes at a cost—and I want to do things a little differently, not better, just more sustainably.

The mother I hope to be for my little boys is someone who owns her mistakes, tries new things, is silly often, feels deeply, explains her frustration instead of hiding it, chases her dreams out loud, and kisses them every chance she gets. I want to live fully and vulnerably in front of them—not perfectly, but honestly. As Brené Brown (2018) writes, “You can’t get to courage without walking through vulnerability.” I want my motherhood to model that kind of brave living.

I hope they feel our connection down to their toes—that deep, steady knowing that they are seen, known, and loved. I hope they question things, speak up, make messes, and push back with conviction. And when life feels hard or chaotic, I want them to know they’ve got a flawed old lady in their corner, always ready to listen—unless she’s asking for five minutes to finish her blog.

I want them to build strong boundaries and fulfilling lives, but I also want them to see what it looks like when a mother receives support too. As Luthar and Ciciolla (2016) found, mothers thrive not just when they give, but when they are supported—emotionally, relationally, and practically. It’s the “who mothers mommy” question that too often goes unanswered. I want my children to see that motherhood can be joyful and connected when that support is present—not just something a woman pushes through.

And that joy is real. According to Nelson et al. (2014), the more connection and support a parent feels, the more joy they experience in parenting. That’s the legacy I want to pass on: not one of burnout or sacrifice alone, but one of real, connected, imperfect joy. That’s the inheritance I’m building—one moment, one mistake, one silly dance party at a time.

V. What Now? 

This series may be ending, but the journey isn’t. Growth is a lifelong process—sometimes slow, often nonlinear, but always worth pursuing.

If there’s one truth to carry with you, let it be this: you are already enough. Not when the house is clean, not when every moment is calm, not when every meal is homemade. Right now, as you are. What’s a message you wish you could send to your teenage or new-mom self?

So give yourself permission to:

  • Keep learning, failing, and trying again.

  • Ask for help and set down what’s too heavy.

  • Laugh at the chaos and cry when it’s overwhelming.

  • Celebrate the beauty in simply showing up.

Thank you for walking this road with me. My hope is that From Guilt to Growth has given you not just insight, but encouragement—a gentle reminder that you are not alone in this. And that growth, even in the messiness, is always possible.



VI. References

  • Baugh, F. (2024, September 2). Understanding the roots of mom guilt. Felicia Baugh.
  • Brown, B. (2010). The gifts of imperfection: Let go of who you think you're supposed to be and embrace who you are. Hazelden Publishing.
  • Brown, B. (2012). Daring greatly: How the courage to be vulnerable transforms the way we live, love, parent, and lead. Gotham Books.
  • Brown, B. (2015). Rising strong: How the ability to reset transforms the way we live, love, parent, and lead. Spiegel & Grau.
  • Brown, B. (2018). Dare to lead: Brave work. Tough conversations. Whole hearts. Random House.
  • Constantinou, G., Varela, S., & Buckby, B. (2021). Reviewing the experiences of maternal guilt – The “Motherhood Myth” influence. Health Care for Women International, 42(3), 1–25. https://doi.org/10.1080/07399332.2020.1835917
  • Haidt, J. (2024). The anxious generation: How the great rewiring of childhood is causing an epidemic of mental illness. Penguin Press.
  • Henderson, R., Harmon, S., & Houser, M. E. (2016). The pressure to be perfect: Intensive mothering and maternal guilt. Journal of Family Issues, 37(11), 1550–1571.
  • Kennedy, B. (2022). Good inside: A guide to becoming the parent you want to be. St. Martin's Press.
  • Kirkpatrick, C. E., & Lee, S. (2022). Comparisons to picture-perfect motherhood: How Instagram's idealized portrayals of motherhood affect new mothers' well-being. Computers in Human Behavior, 137, 107417. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2022.107417
  • Luthar, S. S., & Ciciolla, L. (2016). Who mothers mommy? Factors that contribute to maternal well-being. Developmental Psychology, 52(8), 1051–1063.
  • Miller, C. L., & Strachan, S. M. (2020). Understanding the role of mother guilt and self-compassion in health behaviors in mothers with young children. Women & Health, 60(3), 312–326. https://doi.org/10.1080/03630242.2020.1713966
  • Nelson, S. K., Kushlev, K., & Lyubomirsky, S. (2014). Do parents really enjoy parenting? The role of support networks and mental health. Journal of Happiness Studies, 15(6), 1457–1471.
  • Newport, C. (2019). Digital minimalism: Choosing a focused life in a noisy world. Portfolio/Penguin.
  • Rodsky, E. (2019). Fair play: A game-changing solution for when you have too much to do (and more life to live). G.P. Putnam's Sons.
  • Rodsky, E. (2021). Finding your unicorn space: Reclaim your life, ignite your passions, and create a life you love. G.P. Putnam's Sons.
  • Schmidt, E.-M., Décieux, F., Zartler, U., & Schnor, C. (2023). What makes a good mother? Two decades of research reflecting social norms of motherhood. Journal of Family Theory & Review, 15(1), 57–77. https://doi.org/10.1111/jftr.12488
  • Seligman, M. E. P. (2011). Flourish: A visionary new understanding of happiness and well-being. Oxford University Press.
  • Verduyn, P., Ybarra, O., Résibois, M., Jonides, J., & Kross, E. (2017). Passive Facebook usage undermines affective well-being: Experimental and longitudinal evidence. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 146(2), 230–242.


Popular posts from this blog

Navigating Mom Guilt: Part 1 from Guilt to Growth

Redefining 'Good Enough': Part 2 from Guilt to Growth

Welcome to The Adventure of Motherhood & Ambition

From Guilt to Growth: Embracing Imperfection in Motherhood

Roots and Branches: Returning to the Place that Grew Me