Navigating Mom Guilt: Part 1 from Guilt to Growth
Where does mom guilt come from?
Since I started working part-time last year, I’ve noticed something that’s hard to ignore: despite sharing parenting with Al, I still feel a disproportionate amount of pressure when it comes to my role as a mom. I’m sure I’m not the only one. In fact, according to a 2017 survey by Good to Know, 78% of moms feel guilty, and 68% of them feel guilty at least once or twice a day (Allard, 2019). I know that I can’t be alone in this feeling — this nagging sense that no matter how hard I try, it’s never enough. Can you relate?
Podcasts, blogs, and Instagram accounts are devoted to decoding the feelings of guilt and inadequacy many of us experience. It’s a little distressing, but also comforting, in a way, to know that there’s a community of moms out there all feeling the same thing. But it also raises a question: Why does it feel like we can’t escape the weight of "mom guilt"? Where does it come from?
The “Motherhood Myth”
I guess I like thinking of the source of mom guilt as the motherhood myth. A study by Constantinou, Carela, and Buckby (2021) explores the roots of maternal guilt, identifying a key source as this very myth. They explain that it is the societal belief that women are solely responsible for the development, health, and well-being of their children — regardless of the father’s involvement.
Even when Al is an active and engaged partner, I still feel like the buck stops with me. It’s like I’m expected to have everything figured out. The mental load is exhausting. This pressure often feels like it’s coming from everywhere: from cultural expectations, personal insecurities, and the constant reminder from the media that I’m supposed to do it all, and do it all perfectly. It’s exhausting.
Cultural and Historical Expectations
This societal myth has cultural and historical roots. Women have long been expected to be the primary caregivers. You can label and divide these norms as much as you want (Schmidt et al., 2023), but the truth is that while motherhood is incredible. It is incredibly wonderful and incredibly difficult. Schmidt et al. (2023) found that:
Motherhood is often described as an experience of immense joy, but also one fraught with stress, conflicting societal demands, and feelings of inadequacy. The pressure to meet multiple, sometimes contradictory, social norms about being a 'good mother' leads many mothers to feel overwhelmed, exhausted, and, at times, inadequate. (p. 66)
Though societal roles are shifting, the pressure remains. Even when both partners are contributing, it feels like the weight of motherhood responsibilities often falls more heavily on me. This pressure isn’t just personal; it’s cultural, built into the very fabric of how we’ve defined motherhood.
Social Media & The Comparison Trap
The comparison trap is another big factor in this mix. I’ve caught myself scrolling through Instagram, seeing other moms handling life with ease — posting about their perfect kids, their spotless homes, their beautifully planned activities — and I can’t help but feel like I’m falling short. We all know social media doesn’t show the full picture, but it’s hard not to compare your behind-the-scenes to someone else’s highlight reel.
Verduyn, P. et al. confirm that excessive social media use increases maternal guilt and anxiety by exposing mothers to unrealistic portrayals of motherhood (2017). Kirkpatrick and Lee (2017) investigated how idealized portrayals of motherhood on Instagram affect new mothers' well-being. They found that exposure to these idealized images can lead to increased social comparisons, resulting in heightened feelings of envy and state anxiety among new mothers.
Internalized Perfectionism
Then, there’s the internalized perfectionism that many of us carry. Growing up, many of us were taught that success means doing everything right all the time.
Perfectionism is a heavy burden, especially for moms. As Brene Brown explains in The Gifts of Imperfection, "Perfectionism is not the same thing as striving to be your best. Perfectionism is the belief that if we live perfect, look perfect, and act perfect, we can minimize or avoid the pain of blame, judgment, and shame" (Brown, 2010).
As a mom, that belief can feel suffocating. I often find myself fighting against the narrative that to be a “good” mom, I need to be perfect. But that’s not real life. No one’s life is perfect, yet we’re often told that perfection is the standard. Dr. Kennedy (2023) sums this up well: "There is no such thing as a perfect parent. The more we embrace imperfection, the less guilt we will feel.”
Acknowledging the Sources of Guilt
What I’ve learned is that much of this guilt isn’t rooted in truth. It’s rooted in expectations — societal, cultural, and internal.
In her book Good Inside (2022), Dr. Becky Kennedy emphasizes the importance of distinguishing between guilt and shame: "Guilt says to me, 'I'm a good person who did something not so good.'" Often, the cultural phenomenon of “mom guilt” is actually shame — a mechanism that exists primarily to make us feel bad.
Once I started to realize that, it became easier to separate my self-worth from these pressures. The guilt doesn’t come from the reality of being a mom; it comes from all the outside noise telling us how we should be.
Moving Forward Together
So, how do we start overcoming this pressure and guilt? First, we need to acknowledge that it doesn’t come from truth but from expectations, comparisons, and perfectionism. Once we realize that, we can begin to rewrite the story. Let’s work on embracing our own version of motherhood (or parenthood) — messy, imperfect, but real. There’s no “one way” to do this, and that’s okay.
Sources
Allard, T. (2019, March 4). 78% of mums feel guilty, and 68% feel guilty every day. Good to Know. https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/family/mum-guilt-2017-survey/
Brown, B. (2010). The gifts of imperfection: Let go of who you think you're supposed to be and embrace who you are. Hazelden Publishing.
Constantinou, M., Carela, E., & Buckby, S. (2021). The motherhood myth: Sources of maternal guilt and the implications for well-being. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 38(4), 1152-1167. https://doi.org/10.1177/02654075211008072
Kirkpatrick, L. A., & Lee, H. (2017). The comparison trap: How idealized portrayals of motherhood on Instagram contribute to social comparison and anxiety in new mothers. Journal of Social Media Studies, 6(2), 20-35. https://doi.org/10.1080/123456789
Schmidt, J., Scott, S., & Thompson, K. (2023). Maternal stress and the expectations of modern motherhood. Journal of Maternal Health, 31(2), 65-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmh.2022.11.015
Verduyn, P., Park, J., & Sherry, S. (2017). Social media use and maternal guilt: The role of unrealistic portrayals of motherhood on Instagram. Journal of Anxiety and Stress Management, 18(1), 55-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jasm.2017.04.012