I've been enjoying very slowly reading Roxane Gay's Bad Feminist. One line really hit me, especially as a parent and someone leaning into my own feminist journey,
“I am a bad feminist. I do not always live up to my ideals.”
My feminist journey is imperfect, just like our story time. Some nights I’m learning alongside my kids as much as they’re learning from the books we read.
This month, I’m highlighting stories written by women or about women who inspire. The books we choose, the voices we elevate, and the conversations we have with our children — these are ways I try to bring my ideals into our living room adventures. These books are part of our family library already, shaping how my boys see bravery, curiosity, and kindness — and they’re adventures we love taking together.
Why These Stories Matter
Lately we’ve been trying to talk with our boys about current events. I feel like I'm stressed and a little unable to handle what is going on and fitting the world into the understanding of an, albeit quite apt, five year old can be tricky.
So, we started reading
Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhhà Lai. Without giving too much away, it is a chapter book, written in poetry, about fleeing Vietnam during/after the Vietnam war. We are barely a fourth of the way through it now, but it has helped me put into words things like
war and
immigration and
injustice, etc.
Now listen, I know that some things are going to go over my sweet boy's head. He's not a prodigy or genius (though I think he is absolutely incredible). But I can see his mind comprehending an experience different than his own as we read through Ha's (the main character's) experience. He doesn't understand her Brother Quang's "tangled words," "One cannot justify war / unless each side / flaunts its own / blind conviction" (p. 25), but he knows what it is like to be scared and unsure.
Reading deepens us and I can see it happen as our boy asks questions.
Mirrors, Windows, and Heroines
When my boys see women who are brave, creative, curious, or bold in books, they learn who matters, whose voices are valued, and what courage looks like.
Rudine Sims Bishop’s framework of Mirrors, Windows, and Sliding Glass Doors (1990) is a helpful way to think about it:
- Mirrors: girls see themselves reflected in strong, nuanced female characters
- Windows: boys and girls see experiences different from their own
- Sliding Glass Doors: books as invitations to step into other people’s lives
Representation in books builds empathy, understanding, and imagination. This is why I curate stories intentionally — so my boys can see themselves, see others, and understand that everyone has a story worth telling.
Feminism, in kid-appropriate terms, is about valuing equality, recognizing voices, and questioning unfairness. Even in story time, these ideas matter.
Beginnings of Empathy
Researchers studying early childhood have found that kids notice fairness, gender, and differences long before they can put words to those ideas (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010; Whitehurst & Lonigan, 1998). Reading books with strong, diverse female characters gives them the tools to explore these ideas thoughtfully — to see themselves, question norms, and imagine new possibilities.
I was talking to a friend about raising strong-willed, thoughtful kids the other day. I'll tell you what, when you’re the authority in their life while also teaching them to question authority like a tiny Michel Foucault, it can be a little tricky.
Some nights my boys quote back lines from a heroine in a picture book. Other nights they ask questions about fairness or bravery. These small moments remind me that story time is shaping empathy, curiosity, and respect — and that the stories we choose truly matter.
(Also, all the links are to thrift books, if you are interested in purchasing. Check them out at your local library, too!)
Book Recommendations
So here are a few of the books on our shelves that have sparked conversations about bravery, fairness, and strong female characters.
These are some of my favorites -- our favorites -- on our shelves. They are not all written by women, but have inspired conversations with my boys that question the patriarchy and inspire thought provoking empathy.
"...and she didn't marry him after all."
This is one of my favorite fairy tales. You may not know this about me but I am an absolute sucker for a good fairy tale. This simple story takes the tropes of the damsel in distress and turns it on it's head.
(spoilers) When I read it to students in the past, they were appalled that the prince and princess didn't get married in the end. That being said, it prompted really great conversation about expectations and gender scripts.
Age 2.5+ -- Even my two and a half year old enjoys the silly dragon and smart princess!
This was one of my favorite books growing up. It is about a little girl facing fears and helping her mother. The main character, Irene, is brave, gritty, and relentless. It starts great conversations about how to overcome obstacles and not assign blame.
Age 4+
This series is all about a perfectly perfect princess, Princess Magnolia, and her secret identity as the monster-fighting, princess in black. It is a great book to talk about expectations and my boys love watching how the princess overcomes obstacles.
The monsters are not too scary and there are really cute illustrations. Both of my boys usually will sit and enjoy, though with my 2.5 year old, it can take some creative engagement.
Age 3.5+
This is, at least so far, a really fun and real read. I think it is great exposure to poetry, culture, and aspects of our lives that are hard to talk about: poverty, immigration, war, etc. It is a classic coming of age story, but in my slow and careful read, we haven't made it past the first quarter of the book. Even so, I'd recommend it!
Age 5+
Books Give Voices Power
We've been recently been reading The Princess in Black. The boys are interested in her journey, how she treats monsters, and how she is with her friends. I watch my boys "play" princess in black or super heroes. They are finding that strong heroes are not just superman and the ninja turtles (they love them, too), they can also be princesses and K-Pop singers.
Some nights my boys re-enact the handshake from the Goat Avenger and the Princess in black. Some nights they ask questions about fairness or bravery, especially with Irene and Ha. They giggle about the silliness of the dragon. The question the evil witch and the parents in
Rapunzel and the prince in
The Paper Bag Princess.
These small moments remind me that story time is shaping empathy, curiosity, and respect — and that the stories we choose matter. The heroes and villains they see matter.
Invitation
Not so much a guilty pleasure as just a pleasure, but I love seeing the reels and posts on the internet about acts of "micro feminism" like referring to doctors as female or not moving out of the way on the sidewalk.
They can also happen in the books you put on your shelves.
It's important to stop and listen while reading. Often, I take a minute, especially with a new or tricky book to ask:
- “How do you think [character] felt?”
- “What would you do in their shoes?” -- "What would you do if you were them?"
- “What surprised you about this story?”
As Maya Angelou reminds us, “Diversity makes for a rich tapestry, and we must understand that all the threads… are equal in value no matter their color.” Through story time, I hope my boys can see themselves, see others, and appreciate the value in every story.
What are your favorite feminist books? Do you teach your children about gender equality? Do you find ways to talk to your littles about current events?
Sources
Angelou, M. (1994). Wouldn't take nothing for my journey now. Random House.
Bishop, R. S. (1990). Mirrors, windows, and sliding glass doors. Perspectives: Choosing and Using Books for the Classroom, 6(3), ix–xi.
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. National Association for the Education of Young Children.
Gay, R. (2014). Bad feminist. Harper Perennial.
Lai, T. (2011). Inside out & back again. Harper.
Whitehurst, G. J., & Lonigan, C. J. (1998). Child development and emergent literacy. Child Development, 69(3), 848–872. https://doi.org/10.2307/1132208