Kids Book Recommendations: Adventures We Can Take From the Living Room Floor

1. An Invitation to Adventure (No Packing Required)

One of my favorite things about being a mama is taking my kids on adventures. They learn to lift their heads, see, sit, stand, walk, run, dance, etc. They learn from the world and grow in their knowledge. 

Reading to my boys is a wonderful adventure. It's one that I am grateful to be a part of this adventure almost every night. Reading is a different kind of adventure. It's one where we walk through wardrobes and meet talking lions. We spin in a treehouse to the pyramids. We learn to talk to the animals like the wild robot. 

Research has shown that shared reading in early childhood supports communication and connection, not just academic skills (Raikes et al., 2006).

We love adventures. Opening a book is a trip, a quiet, shared adventure. You don't need plane tickets, gear, or perfect schedules. It is an accessible, every-day adventure.

2. The Night a Story Became Real

I started reading The Chronicles of Narnia to my eldest when he was just under two years old. Admittedly, it started out as a bit of a trick to get him to fall asleep. He loved listening to his parents read and would only slow down for that. 

I did not think that he understood what was going on -- and he probably didn't most of the time. When we got to the point where Aslan is killed, our little two year old was shook. He listened as the White Witch urged her horde to "bind him." He even gasped a little as the witch whispered her final words to Aslan, "...you have lost your own life and you have not saved his." 

I remember, staying in a little airbnb on the west side of the island, reading this portion of the story. The little boy looked up at me and asked, "He died?" 

While he was probably closer to three years old at the time we got to this chapter and doing his best applying any skill in his power to staying up a little later, he knew that his hero died. 

This wasn't a perfect reading experience

Let me be clear that this took us over a year (and it is not a long book). Sometimes we got through a few picture books before the complaining about the book without pictures. Sometimes he'd be so chatty that I'd resort to threats about not reading at all. Life is messy. Don't worry. Lower your expectations. 

Adventures are messy. It doesn't matter whether it is a hike to the top of a muddy peak or figuring out how to keep your little rowdy boy in bed for a pictureless book. They get messy. 

For me it isn't about curating a book nook or a reading corner, it's about catching the moment, sliding a book under the bed after falling to sleep. 

Imperfection is real. Restless toddlers are real. Boring books also sadly are real. 

Rather than making a "perfect experience" find a time, book, and place for you to enjoy the adventure.  

3. Why We Choose Stories

Books have always been part of my identity. I remember when I was little grabbing a pile of chapter books and pretending to read each one. I opened each page, looked at the words, and didn't understand one of them. All I knew is that I looked at each line and turned each page faster than my brother. 

I loved the library -- even won my beloved blue guitar from summer reading. 

Books became a part of my identity as from middle school to high school I carried one or two fictional books between my textbooks to each class. 

I started writing my own stories in the margins of my notes. I believe in the power of stories. Stories can be a little lost girl's first introduction into different cultures and identities. They can be a tool for empathy and curiosity. For a little girl full of curiosity and shackled by the restraint of fortune, a way to explore the world. 

As a mom, I believe that stories can have power for my boys as well. Studies in early childhood development consistently show that shared reading builds language, empathy, and narrative understanding, not just literacy (Whitehurst & Lonigan, 1998). 

4. Whose Voices Fill Our Shelves

As I cultivate my children's and my home library, I try my best to fill it with a variety of voices. I think each voice is necessary, each has a story to tell. It is important to be intentional about what voices you give power to. 

Through this blog, I hope to share stories that my boys love from authors from a variety of backgrounds. It's worth considering share stories from diverse backgrounds and family structures and to be thoughtful about the messages kids absorb.

That being said, I'm still creating and cultivating our library. I'm learning. It's far from perfect. I look forward to hearing your recommendations as well. 

5. Sharing the Stories We Love

Beginning this month, I’ll be sharing a series of blogs with book recommendations from my sons and me. Each post will include a brief (no spoilers) synopsis, why my sons loved the book, and why it’s a part of our family library. I’ll also include a title from my recent reading that I enjoyed — because adventure is for all of us, big and small.

We’d love to share the adventures we go on from the comfort of our pajamas, and we hope these stories spark curiosity, laughter, and conversation in your home too. And as always, we’d love to hear about your favorites — let’s grow our library together and share in the joy of discovery.

6. How the Series Will Work

Each month, I’ll be sharing a new feature full of book adventures — blog post and Instagram Reel included — so you can join us wherever you like to explore stories. My goal is to keep it simple, sustainable, and predictable, because adventures are best when they’re easy to fit into real life.

Every post will include:

  • What my kids loved — the moments that made them laugh, gasp, or beg for “just one more chapter.”
  • What stood out to me as a parent — little insights, reflections, or surprises along the way.
  • Cultural or emotional themes — the ideas, lessons, and perspectives these stories offer.

The age range will grow as my boys do, so over time, you’ll see picks that suit toddlers through early elementary and beyond.

And, of course, there will be a little magic sprinkled in. As C.S. Lewis wrote in The Chronicles of Narnia:

“Once a king or queen in Narnia, always a king or queen in Narnia.”

In our world, that magic comes from curiosity, imagination, and the stories we explore together — whether from a cozy nook, the living room floor, or under a blanket fort.

7. Step Through the Wardrobe With Us

Stories are best enjoyed together — and we’d love to share this adventure with you. As C.S. Lewis wrote in The Chronicles of Narnia:

“Courage, dear heart.”

Sometimes all it takes is a little courage to open a book, share a story, or try a new adventure — whether that’s a picture book with your toddler or a chapter book with your early reader.

Our oldest used his knowledge of Aslan when Easter came around to recall that Jesus, like Aslan, came back to life. Stories to that for you and for your early reader. The embolden, enlarge, and empower you.

We invite you to:

  • Share your favorite kids’ books with us
  • Recommend authors or cultures to highlight
  • Read along with your kids and savor the moments

If you’d like to follow our adventures more closely, you can follow along on Instagram for weekly inspiration.

Let’s explore, imagine, and discover together — because every book opens a new world, and every story is an adventure waiting to be shared.


Sources

Lewis, C. S. (1950–1956). The Chronicles of Narnia [Series]. Geoffrey Bles
.
Raikes, H., et al. (2006). Mother-child bookreading in low-income families: Correlates and outcomes during the first three years of life. Child Development, 77(4), 924–953.

Whitehurst, G. J., & Lonigan, C. J. (1998). Child development and emergent literacy. Child Development, 69(3), 848–872.

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating Mom Guilt: Part 1 from Guilt to Growth

Redefining 'Good Enough': Part 2 from Guilt to Growth

Welcome to The Adventure of Motherhood & Ambition

From Guilt to Growth: Embracing Imperfection in Motherhood

Roots and Branches: Returning to the Place that Grew Me