Raising Little Adventurers: What Our Cruise Taught Us About Bravery

Prepping for the Unexpected 

One of the great tragedies of life is knowing how many people in the world are made to soar, paint, sing, or steer—except they never get the chance to find out (Sanderson, 2023). 

Going on a family cruise was not the rest I was hoping for, but it was the adventure we all needed.

We have been scrambling a bit extra this year, and it felt like it was time for a re-set. So, when my good friend sent me a link to this amazing deal for a 6-night cruise out of San Juan, I couldn't believe it. Then our luck got better...

Even though the boat didn't come back to San Juan, it docked in Florida. As it turns out, we had family. So, not only did we get to go on a great adventure, but we got to visit family, too! 

Surprise Adventure Planning

Al and I decided that we weren't going to tell our kids. Totally worth it. For some reason our eldest grabbed a travel magazine and asked if we could go on one of them sometime. It felt serendipitous. He also figured out what we were doing on the way, little smarty-pants. 

We packed up during the week, went to church, and then had a friend drive us to the pier. 

Our two-year-old was a little nervous. He "didn't want to" go on the "big boat." That is, until he saw his older brother's eyes light up as we got closer. We hauled our backpacks and car seats aboard and H couldn't believe it, "There. Are. Stairs. There are stairs ON A BOAT!" 

Sail Away

It was magical. There were some last-minute changes to stops, but for good reason. Instead of taking our littles where we honeymooned, we sped off to Jamaica to deliver humanitarian aid. We stayed aboard while the pallets were unloaded, which was special to be a part of. 

We hiked, swam, hitchhiked and beached in George Town in Grand Cayman. We partied, played, and ate way to much onboard. Then, we hopped in a car and explored ruins, playas, and tacos in Cozumel, Mexico. 

The boys tried out the adventure kid zone and royal tots. Al and I had some sample massages and steams and saunas -- not to mention time together. We went to shows, movies, and ate food whenever we wanted. It was glorious.

Rough Seas

We also did laundry in our tiny little stateroom sink -- accidents happen. I messed up our returning flight and spent a very stressful hour on hold. I got a weird pain and purchased expensive, extra-strength Tylenol (I know, controversial) onboard. It wasn't all fun. There were bumps and even tears.

Moving through the rough waters with an extra dose of Dramamine for me, made me think about adventures. I mean, when you read a good book, there are also ups and downs. All of the trip, the joy and the chaos felt familiar. 

Adventure, it turns out, isn't something that starts when we step on the boat, or pack the bags, or book the flights. Adventure (to risk sounding like Dr. Suess) perhaps means a little bit more.

Homecoming: Adventure Doesn't End Here

Coming home, we didn't have a day to readjust; we hopped off the plane and over to our friends' birthday party. Then off to get Bendito Chase from his friend, Juni's house. We got home around 8:00 PM, bathed, got the stuff out of the car, and went to bed. Then I had to jump to and prep my lectures for the next morning. We went to bed a little later and I woke up at 5:30 AM -- back to the grind. 

I won't be too embarrassed when I tell you it took me until Thursday to finally get us unpacked. Al was on the mountain of laundry and the two sets of sheets (two nighttime accidents following our return). We got some groceries in our fridge. The boys went to work with me one day. We slowly found our steps and routine again. 

Ordinary Adventurers

We laughed remembering things from the boat. H still brags about how his favorite food on the boat were the "caracoles." He loved the escargot. I loved watching him try new things. There were tantrums and adjustments. All that and our boys felt more confident on their wobbly sea legs. 
The world feels impossibly big until the moment you finally step into it — then suddenly, it’s yours to explore. (Sanderson, 2023)
The chaos during and after, the confidence in themselves, the resilience during challenges... this is adventure. This is what adventure looks like when it lives in your bones and doesn't start when you step on a boat. 

We go on adventures as a family because our boys are gaining confidence as adventurers. 

Raising Little Adventurers 

This section is for all my Brandon Sanderson fans out there. If you haven’t read Tress of the Emerald Sea, you’re in for a treat. Tress lives on a tiny island, surrounded by what looks like a dangerous, sparkling sea, and she’s… not exactly a typical hero. She’s ordinary in all the ways you’d expect—but life throws her into situations that demand bravery, quick thinking, and a whole lot of heart. And through it all, she grows into someone who surprises even herself.

Honestly, she reminds me a little of me. --not that I think I am a hero, but I have felt so deeply ordinary. Tress was. She felt that way. Then, she did something that scared her. She got onto the "big boat," just like E did. 

Watching my boys dive into this cruise reminded me so much of Tress. Their excitement, their nervous hesitations, the way they try new things even when it’s scary—it’s all so familiar. Tress’s journey of becoming brave and capable mirrored a realization I had about our family: adventure isn’t something that waits for the perfect trip or perfect timing. It shows up in messy suitcases, flights that go sideways, boats with stairs, and yes… laundry in the sink.

Fear and Push to Try

Between you and me, I can be a worry wart. Despite all the travel and almost five years of motherhood (has it been that long?!), I still get nervous about logistics or transitions. 

Sometimes it is scary. Sometimes sleep training is scary -- or not sleep training. Breastfeeding, formula, pre-school, home-school, living far away, living close by, even just feeding your kids... things are scary. 

I want my kids to see that sometimes big things are scary. Sometimes little things are scary. Things are scary. With that in mind, fear shouldn't keep you from trying. 

Choosing adventure

I mentioned E's baby swim lessons before, right? The one where I asked him if he wanted to go under, but he said he was scared. Somehow my two year old understood that sometimes we get to do things that we are afraid of, to choose, so that we can, in turn, choose bravery and adventure. 

I don't think I'll forget seeing his sweet fearful face coming out of the water, feeling his little fingers clutching my neck, and hearing his surprised gasp, "I was brave."

Tress stepped into the unknown, a tiny island girl on a glittering, dangerous sea. So can my boys. So can I.

Step on the boat. Accept the job offer. Start pedaling on your own. Publish the blog. Try again, and again, and again.

As Sanderson says, “Heroism is often the seemingly spontaneous result of a lifetime of preparation” (2023). That hits me in the gut as a parent and as a person: every encouragement, every little push to try, every messy, chaotic moment is part of helping them grow into confident adventurers -- and me, too.

Adventure Lives in our Bones

Adventure didn't stop when we got off the plane or unpacked our stinky clothes. Adventure is a part of our lives. Every time we decide to find excitement, be brave even when it isn't convenient, we are adventurers.

Those are the sweet, boys that I get the privilege of raising. They are brave (and sometimes very silly) adventurers.

Adventure isn’t a vacation, a cruise, or a checklist. It’s part of who we are as a family—the messy, magical, chaotic, resilient, curious parts of ourselves. Every choice to explore, to be brave, to laugh through the bumps, is proof that adventure lives in our bones.

Sometimes the bravest thing we do is just try, even when we’re afraid. If this post gave you a little spark, share it with someone who needs it. And if you want to connect, message me on Instagram [@adventureswithsarahandal]—I’d love to hear your story, because we’re all learning how to be adventurers together through our "spontaneous lifetime of preparation." 



Sources

Sanderson, B. (2023). Tress of the Emerald Sea. Dragonsteel Entertainment.

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating Mom Guilt: Part 1 from Guilt to Growth

Redefining 'Good Enough': Part 2 from Guilt to Growth

Welcome to The Adventure of Motherhood & Ambition

From Guilt to Growth: Embracing Imperfection in Motherhood

Roots and Branches: Returning to the Place that Grew Me