From Petals to Playgrounds: Micro-Adventures & Family Fun in San Juan

A few weeks ago, a friend told us about a neighborhood event at the local church — face paint, bounce houses, and free food. So after church, we went.

It was pure fun. We ate way too many hot dogs, got our faces painted, and bounced ourselves silly. E cried at the clowns while H proudly declared his love for payasos.

But when I asked our four-year-old what his favorite part was, he didn’t say “bounce house” or “piragua.” He smiled and said:

“Throwing petals at each other under the Pomarosa tree.”

Honestly? I agree. There was something magical about that simple moment—petals in our hair, sunlight filtering through the leaves. As Al said, it felt like a fairy barbershop.
“There is magic in the ordinary, magic that has the power to change the world.”
— T.J. Klune
No plane tickets. No big plans. Just petals, sunlight, and a tree.

This moment made me realize how much magic we can find in everyday life -- through what I like to call micro-adventures

1. Rediscovering Adventure in the Everyday

I love adventuring—planning, packing, exploring, trying new foods. But I’ve realized that the same feeling of wonder and bonding can happen without leaving your zip code.

We call them micro-adventures: little moments of fun and discovery, right in the middle of daily life.
  • Petal-throwing under a tree? Micro-adventure.
  • Pretending shaving cream is snow during bath time? Also a micro-adventure.

You don’t need a flight to Rio. Just some imagination and a bit of energy.

Why they matter (especially with kids)

“I’m interested in the way ordinary things can be made luminous.”
— Tracy K. Smith
The magic isn’t in the activity—it’s in how we experience it.

At dinner, we often ask, “What was your favorite part of the day?” And H’s answers almost always surprise me. It’s rarely the big thing. It’s the flower petal fight. The bike ride. The bug we found on the sidewalk.

These small adventures build our connection—and they fit into daily life.

How to Spot One

Try this:
  • Instead of just eating popsicles on the porch, go on a walk to find the best sunset spot.
  • Turn bedtime into a crocodile chase.
  • Let the kids get messy.
It's not about adding more. It's about seeing more.

Embracing the Adventure in the Ordinary

One of my favorite Bluey episodes, “Sticky Gecko,” perfectly captures the chaos and comedy of trying to get kids out the door for a tiny adventure. After a series of hilarious, relatable delays, Chili finally steps on a pin, sighs, and says, “We’re never leaving this house again.” Then—mom mode activated—“Get in the car!” 

If that doesn’t sum up micro-adventures with kids, I don’t know what does.

Anything with kids isn’t easy. Getting them dressed, teeth brushed, catching the sticky gecko. Sometimes, for me, that means that we show up to a play date looking less than our best. Sometimes mud wins and we take a third bath that day.

As you experience your own micro adventures, you get to decide. Maybe you will let the kids be dirty. Learn your limits, and theirs. Slow down. Enjoy. 

My older sister once said, "I want to enjoy motherhood."  That's an attitude adjustment I'm trying to adopt as a recovering perfectionist. There will be tantrums, forgotten snacks, and heaps of self-doubt. But those heavy moments don't have to be the focus. That, you get to choose. 

2. Exploring New Corners of Your Town: Making Magic Close to Home

Sometimes we make the magic. Sometimes we just find it.

I grew up in a small Wyoming town. Our adventures? Exploring the library, inspecting Pony Express trails, and biking to a ditch after a rare rain, it was just a ditch -- but to us, it was a fantasy land. 
“It is not so much the circumstances of our lives that make us happy or unhappy but the way we see them.”
— David Michie, The Dalai Lama’s Cat
One day, the kids were melting down. I put them in the car, blasted our “adventure songs,” and told them we’d drive until we found a new park.

We found two.

No tears. Just music, movement, and magic.

Al often takes the boys walking through the neighborhood after school drop-off. I’ve come home to a stroller full of fruit, two sticky boys, and one very happy heart.

One elderly neighbor always gives them Fig Newtons. E now calls them “Raquel cookies.

3. Saying 'Yes' More Often: The Tunnel Story

This can be hard after a long day of parenting. Sometimes, saying yes leads to the best adventures.

I remember my mom telling me that she tried to reserve her no’s for things that really mattered or things she had to say no to to keep us safe. Sometimes I find myself saying no because I’m honestly just too tired. That’s ok.

When you can, say yes.

Embracing spontaneity not only may surprise your little ones but can lead to some fun bonding experiences.

The other day we were at one of our favorite parks and we noticed a somewhat ominous looking hole in the fence. It was surrounded by dense foliage. I wasn’t sure if we’d end up in Narnia by going through the tunnel of trees. When H asked, I turned to Al and said I couldn’t do it, but he could.

Al, as usual, was down for an adventure. He took little H’s hand, and they started their adventure. I nursed E and waited, listening for any signs of danger until I couldn’t handle it and E wasn’t hungry anymore.

Spoiler alert: the tunnel didn’t lead to Narnia. It just led to bleachers next to a locked soccer field.

But the real magic? We saw a snake hunt and catch a lizard. After a brief family council, we decided that Al should save it with a stick that H and I found.

He was successful! The lizard got to live another day and the snake had to find another lunch.

There was drama. Mercy. Bravery. And one heroic stick.

An ordinary day turned into a core memory.

Allowing for spontaneity can actually foster creativity and adaptability in children. Sometimes the best adventures start with a yes.

4. Turning Chores into Adventures

Cooking with Kids

H’s been cooking with me since he was two. He and Al even made lobster tails for Mother's Day (thanks, Costco!).

With two kids, it's harder. But we’re learning new ways. Sometimes cooking times means jealousy over counter space or stools and hungry kids.

I remind myself what Angela Duckworth said, “Children need to do chores. Doing real work at home gives kids a sense of responsibility and self-worth” (2016).

We recently did a spice taste test with cinnamon, chili powder, salt, and a couple other spices. It sparked a conversation about flavor and trying new things, and also some pretty hilarious faces and laughter.

Make Chores Playful

Here are some ways we turn work into fun:
  • Cooking → Try new cuisines together.
  • Cleaning → Set a timer and race the clock.
  • Gardening → Grow a tiny herb or succulent patch.
  • Pet/Chicken Care → Teach empathy and responsibility.
  • Walks/Bikes → Create scavenger hunts.

The great thing about involving your kids is that they get better at it. I’ve also noticed that as H has had to clean up more, is prone to make less of a mess. Even though it may take twice as long, when you’ve got the energy, involve the kiddos.

Let Them Help (even when it’s messy)

Incorporating adventure into the everyday isn’t about adding more to your plate — it’s about shifting how we experience what’s already there. According to Self-Determination Theory (a psychology framework that explores how humans thrive), we feel most fulfilled when we have autonomy, connection, and a sense of competence. What if hanging laundry outside while your kids play nearby could check all three boxes?

You’re choosing how you spend your time (autonomy), doing something that requires care and skill (competence), and being present with your little ones (relatedness). These daily rhythms can feed your soul — no plane ticket required.

I'm constantly surprised how willing my little ones are at helping with the laundry. I’ve changed some of my routines to fit their abilities. We don’t always fold their pants, just put them in their drawers. I used to have a clothesline low for them to help hang clothes. Kids deserve to be empowered and learn to be independent.

Yes, eggs get dropped. Clothes fall in the dirt. Plants get picked.

But kids learn by doing. I lowered our clothesline so they could help hang laundry. We don’t fold pants anymore—just sort and stuff.

These aren’t “failures.” They’re part of the adventure.

5. Play, Structure & Screens: Finding Balance

Structure that Supports joy

I’m a structured girl. Al’s more go-with-the-flow. He’s taught me something powerful:

It’s not the structure that drains joy—it’s the pressure to perform.

Kids thrive with rhythm and routine—but also need time for play and rest.
“Play allows children to use their creativity while developing their imagination, dexterity, and physical, cognitive, and emotional strength.”
— American Academy of Pediatrics, 2007
We try to be thoughtful with screen time. Instead of counting minutes with guilt, I focus on context

If I can sit beside my kid watching Bluey and giggle together—or use a show as a breather between backyard adventures—that’s connection, not just consumption. As Donahue (2024) points out in Time, it’s not just about limiting screen time but about how, when, and why it’s being used.

All this being said, before E even turned 1, he was hospitalized with RSV. I tried to do my best, helping him try new foods, tummy time, crawling practice, naps. We tried to use screens carefully and intentionally then, even if it came with some mom guilt. 

Even now, I feel shame and excuses riddling that choice. I couldn’t hold him down to do it, we couldn’t time his naps so he’d be asleep every time, and we wanted him to heal. We have the incredible tool of screens. I guess it is time for a little forgiveness and moving forward with intention.

Now, I try to practice forgiveness and move forward with intention.

6. Our Favorite Micro Adventure Spots in San Juan

Here are our go-to spots around San Juan:
  • Any park — Seriously, any. Dirt, meltdowns, and all.
  • UPR Botanical Garden — Quiet, green, and full of turtles.
  • Cataño Pier — Scooting, splashing, tropical fish.
  • Posita de los Piñones — Calm waters, morning is best.
  • Museo del Niño — Only open weekends. 10/10 recommend.
  • San Juan BMX Park — Free pump tracks! Bring water.
  • Angelito Trail & El Yunque — Starter hikes with waterfall payoffs.
  • Balneario Carolina Splash Pad — You pay by the hour, but it’s worth it.
  • Pilones Waterfall — Our favorite. 40-minute hike. We’ll go with you!
  • Viejo San Juan — Walk, learn, explore. Bring a kite for El Morro.
Pro tip: Keep an adventure kit in your car:
  • Sunscreen
  • Water bottles
  • Granola bars
  • Bubbles/toys
  • Blanket or towel

7. Embracing the Adventure in the Ordinary

Sometimes it’s errands. Sometimes it’s cleaning. Sometimes it’s petals under a tree.

Let it be an adventure.

Channel your inner Bandit or Chili. Shake off the mess. Laugh through the chaos. Add a little awe.

You’ve got this, parents.

Find your fairy barbershop. Then tell me:
What are your micro-adventures? 💫

Sources:

Bluey. (2020). Sticky gecko (Season 2, Episode 10) [TV series episode]. In J. Brumm (Creator), Bluey. Ludo Studio; BBC Studios; ABC Kids.

Donahue, M. R. (2024, May 1). Stop counting screen time: It’s about what your kids are doing—and who with. Time. https://time.com/6985455/stop-counting-screen-time-essay/

Duckworth, A. (2016). Grit: The power of passion and perseverance. Scribner.

Ginsburg, K. R., Committee on Communications, & Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health. (2007). The importance of play in promoting healthy child development and maintaining strong parent-child bonds. Pediatrics, 119(1), 182–191. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2006-2697

Klune, T. J. (2020). The house in the cerulean sea. Tor Books.

Michie, D. (2013). The Dalai Lama’s cat. Hay House.Smith, T. K. (2012). Ordinary light: A memoir. Alfred A. Knopf.

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating Mom Guilt: Part 1 from Guilt to Growth

Redefining 'Good Enough': Part 2 from Guilt to Growth

Welcome to The Adventure of Motherhood & Ambition

From Guilt to Growth: Embracing Imperfection in Motherhood

Roots and Branches: Returning to the Place that Grew Me